The Detroit & Saline Plank Road was opened on August 26, 1850, and was 40 miles long with eight toll gates. One of these toll gates was at the Summit Farm, now 1705 West Michigan Ave., about three miles west of Ypsilanti. The tolls were to collect revenue to fund repair of the road.|
The toll rates were: wagons pulled by one horse or oxen were one cent per mile, two horses two cents per mile and if drawn by more than two horses ¾ cent for each additional horse or oxen. The toll for all single horses led; ridden or driven was one cent per mile. For every 20 sheep or swine, one half cent and for ever score of cattle, one cent per mile.
Local farmers resented the cost and built a road of their own, by passing the toll gate. A new toll gate was erected after the detour linked up with the road. Finally, in 1866, Evan Begole couldn’t take anymore and used an ax to smash the toll gate. That was the beginning of the end of the toll gate.
A plaque on a boulder was erected by the Ypsilanti Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution on the site in 1938.