(Bridge on Cross Street)
IN HONOR OF OUR BRAVE MEN OF THE 107TH FIELD SIGNAL BATTALION U.S.A., WHICH BRIGADED WITH THE 32nd DIVISION, RENDERED DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AT CHATEAU THIERRY, SOISSONS, FISMES, JUVINGY AND THE ARGONNE, AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO IN THE CAUSE OF HUMANITY GAVE THE LAST FULL MEASURE OF DEVOTION. A roster of the names of these men is preserved in the archives of the City Hall. Erected by the Patriotic Service League - 1919.|
IN HONOR OF THE BRAVE MEN WHO SERVED IN THE WORLD WAR AND OF THE DEVOTED MEN AND WOMEN WHO IN HOSPITAL AND HUT HEARTENED AND SUSTAINED OUR FIGHTING FORCES, AND IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO IN THE CAUSE OF HUMANITY SEALED THEIR DEVOTION WITH THEIR LIVES. A roster of the names of these men and women is preserved in the archives of the City Hall. Erected by the Patriotic Service League - 1919.
At the south side of the west end of Cross Street Bridge stands this memorial to the men from Ypsilanti who served their country during the First World War. These men were in the 107th Field Signal Battalion with the 32nd Division. The men saw action at Chateau Thierry, Soissons, Fismes, and Juvigy and in the Battle of the Argonne. Ten of these men gave the last full measure.
The two plaques were dedicated on July 4, 1919, after the parade. When the dedication was held, the two Memorial tablets stood across the street from each other, one on the north side of the bridge and the other on the south. The tablets were removed in 1984, when the current bridge replaced the old one. Once construction was completed, the tablets were returned, now side by side on the south side of the new bridge.