(Old Town Hall at 300 North Huron Street)
A memorial in memory of the men from Ypsilanti, who fought in the American Civil War, stands on the north lawn of Old Town Hall at 300 North Huron Street. The memorial is a boulder with a plaque which was dedicated on November 11, 1924, by the Women’s Relief Corp. the Sons and Daughter of Union veterans. The boulder was dug out of a trench Milan and brought to Ypsilanti by a teamster named Byron Fosdick, who erected the boulder for a small charge.|
"In loving memory of Carpenter Post No. 180 Grand Army of the Republic, dedicated by Carpenter's Women's Relief Corps No. 65; Carpenter's Camp No. 180 Sons of Union Veterans; Martha A. Beach Tent No. 5, Daughters of Union Veterans; Ypsilanti, Michigan, 1924," are the words inscribed on the stone.
There were about 50 soldiers in the G.A.R. organization at the time the stone was erected. The women's organizations sponsored a dinner for the men that day just before the group went to city hall to dedicate the stone.
At the dinner, the ladies - anxious to obtain funds for the monument - raffled off a guess cake, made by Mrs. Margaret Weston. The cake, which contained 50 pennies, was won by Justice of the Peace Darwin Curtis, who purchased it for $1.25. This was only one of many dinners sponsored by the group to raise funds for the stone.
At the time the monument was erected, Seth Marenas was president of the GAR post; Mrs. Emma Bailey was state president of the Women's relief Corps; and Mrs. Eunice Matts was monument chairman. Members of the committee in charge of raising money for the plaque and stone were: Mrs. Eunice Garty, Mrs. S. B. Mereness, Mrs. Harry Weston, Mrs. Ella Niles, Mrs. Sarah Young, Mrs. Ella Bassett, E. E. Ensign, Horatio Paine, and C. Downing. The plaque was unveiled by Mrs. S. B. Mereness.