BACK Page 36 CONTINUE
Virgin Mary Statue
(Cross Street)
On the south west corner of Cross and Hamilton, across the street from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, is a small lot that might, at first glance, appear empty. A second look will reveal the figure of the Virgin Mary, standing in the corner atop a wall. She stands with hands outstretched and her head slightly bowed. The shrine was dedicated on the afternoon of Sunday, September 20, 1942.

“A line of evergreens makes an effective background,” reported The Ypsilanti Daily Press of Monday, September 21, 1942. “From individuals came vases of flowers, two large arrangements standing nearly as high as the foot of the statue and consisting of beautiful gladioli in light colors while the lower bouquets were asters, deeper in shade,” noted the account.

“Leading from this spot,” continued the account, “are walks which begin at the two streets which begin at the two streets bordering the location, with small evergreens at each entrance.” The Rev. John Bradley made the introduction to the ceremony, and the Rev. Bernard Kearns explained the meaning of the shrine. The shrine was unveiled by Joyce Dupont and Margaret Wills who represented the sponsors, the members of Our Ladies Solidarity. Then a procession went to the church for Benediction and rosary.

“There is considerable more to be done on the location of the shrine,” concluded the account. “Roses will be planted and as soon as the roots of the hedge are well fixed it will be trimmed.”