|Henry Kimmel came from Pennsylvania and was the first settler in what would become Dixboro. Captain Dix was the founder of Dixboro in 1825. A.B. Rowe platted the village in 1826. It was in Wayne County until Washtenaw County was established in 1829.
The first post office was established December 6, 1825 with Mr. Dix as postmaster. It closed September 15 1850 and was restored with Nelson Townsend as postmaster until July 11, 1861. Again closed until January 20, 1863, it was restored again May 26, 1890, until it was closed for the last time on June 15, 1905.
Eldridge Gee built the first house in March of 1823. In 1826 he built a saw mill and grist mill.
On June 30, 1828, the Legislative Council took part of Ypsilanti Township and made Panama Township. In 1831 the people of Southern Panama organized the Township of Superior. Mr. Kimmel thought he had picked an area finer than any other so he named it “Superior.” Mr. Kimmel erected a large ashery and pearl-ash refinery and employed 30 people. Wood was burned to ash, which was then sold to make lye, an ingredient used in making soap. Mrs. Kimmel was a dependable woman. She extracted teeth, bled the sick, fed and ministered to her family and a household of 40 persons for years.
Every settler had a cow, and in the fall 300 hogs were driven in, butchered and sold principally to the settlers. George McKim made barrels to pack the pork in and also they were used in the ashery.
A schoolhouse was erected in1847. The Justice of the Peace kept a country tavern for many years. Law suit trials as well as public meetings were held in his house. In 1880 Dixboro boasted of 2 creameries, a washing machine factory, crate factory, saw mill, copper shop, cider mill, chair factory, store, post office, several blacksmith shops, taverns and 2 churches, the Methodist Episcopal and the Free Church.
It was a unique little hamlet that was passed up by the railroad when everyone thought that the railroad would follow the river.
|Sources: Michigan Place Names, Walter Romeg, Ypsilanti Press, Oct. 30, 1954 Wendell Hobbs-Post Office Archives|