- In 1883 Patrick Roger Cleary founded Cleary's School of Penmanship in Ypsilanti.
Starting with only two students, he soon attracted more by offering other business related classes.
In 1889 the school's name was changed to Cleary Business College, and the facility moved to its third location on the corner of Michigan and Adams. The building was destroyed by a cyclone in 1898.
Cleary College was the first college in Michigan to train commercial teachers.