State Normal School - 1852

  • The Michigan State Normal School was established by the Michigan Legislature in 1849 for the training of teachers.

  • The first building was dedicated in 1852 and the first classes started in 1853.

  • It was the first teachers' training school west of the Allegheny Mountains.

  • Immediately following the dedication of the building a six-week teachers’ institute was held; 250 attended. Following the institute, the “State Teachers Association” was formed.

  • On October 28, 1859, the original building was destroyed by fire. The new building was opened on April 10, 1860.

BACK PAGE 15 CONTINUE