Ypsilanti Public Schools - 1840

  • In 1840, Francis Griffin established a public school in the session house of the Presbyterian Church.

  • In 1844, Benjamin Woodruff started a public school, which he eventually moved into a portion of the “Tecumseh Hotel” shown at the left.

  • In 1848, the building was bought by the Baptist Church for a private school called “The Ypsilanti Seminary.”

  • In 1849 the building was sold to the local school district.

  • In 1857 the building was destroyed by fire.

BACK PAGE 13 CONTINUE